Thursday, December 3, 2009

Evaluating GAME plan progress (week 5 assn)

* How effective were your actions in helping you meet your goals?

I am still developing a skill at time management. I am beginning to accomplish my goals that I have set out, however, it is probably at a slower pace than I would prefer. I have taken a few of my ideas that I have developed and at least attempted to find a way to integrate technology. We have went to our library and I have had a few small group assignments that forced them to utilize various aspects of the internet. However, I am also not quite where I would like to be. There is always room for improvement!!!

* What have you learned so far that you can apply in your instructional practice?
I have definitely learned to try things out and be experimental. I have shown my students through practice, that it is alright to not completely understand something and learn through experience. I have shown my students how to make mistakes and learn from them. Fortunately, I have an older group of students and they are hopefully taking to what I have done thus far. I have also learned to allow students to help me in the process. Albeit I am the teacher, I definitely have allowed my students more leverage into helping me and each other learn from one another. If a student has an idea or prior background knowledge with using a resource that most may not be familiar with, I have gotten better about relinquishing the controls and allowing others' to take the reins.

* What do you still have to learn? What new questions have arisen?
I still have to learn A LOT. I always seem to have this empty feeling that I have no clue what I am doing and am going to repeatedly fall on my face. I am the type that needs to know exactly where I am going and the purpose for doing something. Entering a new realm and having to incorporate technology within a district such as mine, with little to none, is very difficult and requires much patience.


* How will you adjust your plan to fit your current needs?

Rather than wish I had more resources to work with, I am going to take advantage of what little I do have. It is too easy for me to simply whine and complain for all of our district's shortcomings. This only creates frustration and benefits no one, especially my students. I will adjust my GAME plan according to what is needed for each particular class. If one class is more individualized, I will shorten the groups down. Basically, I will attempt to highlight each student and each class's strengths and build on our weaknesses. Having a reliable lesson to fall back on that is relevant and worthwhile will be something that I need to make an adjustment to my current plan. I have had several difficulties in the past with our building and technology so to be completely reliant on a factor that I can't control bears way too much risk.

Kevin

1 comment:

  1. Kevin-

    Your attitude about being flexible and trying out the lesson to adjust later, reminds me of a professor that I had during undergrad school. He always reminded us that a lesson was always a trial and error game. If it was not working, adjust to meet the needs of the students. Just as our students need to reflect on feedback, as do their teachers to make their teaching more effective.

    As for letting your students help with lessons and teaching others to use resources that play to their strengths, isn't it amazing how students 'hear' the same thing differently from a peer? It is tough to relinquish that control though!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete